Candidates may receive credit for education at foreign colleges and universities. An educational evaluation service approved by the NAAB or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES) must evaluate certified original transcripts and diplomas from the foreign school(s) to equate the degree to a comparable US degree. The service must submit the original recommendation along with transcripts directly to the Board. The candidate is responsible for any cost of evaluation. Candidates should request an original "short" or "general" report be submitted directly to the Board office along with a copy of the original transcripts.

Architectural degrees from programs accredited by the CACB are considered equivalent to NAAB-accredited degrees and granted five years of credit.


The examination aspect of licensure is satisfied by successfully completing both the Architect Registration Examination (ARE) and the California Supplemental Examination (CSE). Detailed information is available about each examination in their respective section of this website.