Community Colleges and Technical Schools

The Board grants credit for a community college education only if a degree is obtained. Credit is granted for units earned at a community college without a degree only if those units are transferred to and accepted by a higher institution. A candidate who has a degree from both a community college and a university is only granted credit for the degree that gives the most credit.

The Board may allow credit for a technical school degree if it is in a field related to architecture. Credit is granted for a technical school education only if a candidate obtains a certificate of completion.


The examination aspect of licensure is satisfied by successfully completing both the Architect Registration Examination (ARE) and the California Supplemental Examination (CSE). Detailed information is available about each examination in their respective section of this website.